Muscle Spasms in the Neck
Muscle spasms in your neck are involuntary contractions that can lead to discomfort and pain. If they aren’t treated, those bothersome muscle spasms in the neck can cause other problems too, such as headaches and dizziness. When you’re having a spasm in your neck, the muscles feel tight or hard and you just can’t relax, no matter what position you try.
- Are you tired of having your life interrupted by muscle spasms in the neck? Afraid to undergo surgery for the chronic pain caused by those spasms? Consider treatment at a center just for men with your issues. ReBalance has a number of non-surgical treatment options that work.
- Are you a musician having trouble playing your regular gigs because of nagging neck pain? Are muscle spasms in the neck keeping you off the stage as a dancer or getting in the way of your favorite weekend sports? Get muscle spasms treatment quickly at ReBalance.
- Do you want to find a way to get rid of muscle spasms in the neck without giving up your favorite activities? Does your job and future career depend on being as healthy as possible, without neck pain? Learn what options you have to stop your muscle spasms.
Don’t let muscle spasms in the neck drive you mad!
You Don’t Have to Live with the Pain
The pain from muscle spasms in the neck ranges from mild to severe. When neck spasms are intensely painful, it’s difficult or impossible to stop dwelling on the pain. You may want to try to push through the discomfort, thinking you shouldn’t have so much pain from a simple spasm. That course of action, though, can cause further injury and an increase in pain.
A spasm happens when your neck muscles press on a nerve root, increasing the intensity of the pain. Shooting pain travels from your neck and down to your shoulder or arm at times. It also may travel up into your head, leaving you with crushing headaches. How badly it hurts depends on how severely the nerve is compressed. In some cases, the pain can be just about unbearable.
Causes of Muscle Spasms in the Neck
There are quite a few possible causes of muscle spasms in the neck. You may be one of those men who experience neck pain and spasms because you overuse your neck muscles every day, such as being hunched over a computer for long periods of time. Prolonged poor posture can be very damaging to neck muscles, causing them to contract and spasm.
In addition to trauma from an accident or sports injury, some of the other causes of neck spasms include:
- Muscle fatigue
- Muscle strain
- Electrolyte abnormalities or imbalances
- Sleeping in an awkward position
- Moving your neck suddenly, like a jerking motion
Stress is another trigger for muscle spasms that can impact just about any muscle group, including your neck. Tension and anxiety sometimes cause you to hold the muscles in your neck in an abnormally tight position, resulting in spasms and an inability to relax or release the contraction. Serious medical conditions can lead to muscle spasms in the neck, such as:
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated disc
- Cervical dystonia
Neck pain or spasms that are very severe or have been going on for more than a day or two should be evaluated by a doctor. You should also consult a doctor if you know you’ve been injured or if you have other symptoms such as fever, chills or bruise-like marks on your skin.
Stop the pain caused by muscle spasms in your neck!
Options for Treating Muscle Spasms in the Neck
If your neck spasms were not caused by an injury to your cervical spine or any other major disorders, you may be able to obtain some relief with:
- Alternating ice and heat
- Over-the-counter pain medication
- Gently massaging
- Topical analgesics
- Relaxation techniques
As part of our ReBalance 360 program, you have a slew of options for relieving muscle spasms in the neck quickly and without surgery. We help pinpoint ways that may be causing or aggravating your neck problems, and we give you some options for relief. Consider, for example, regenerative joint procedures such as:
- Platelet rich plasma injections
- Stem cell treatments in NYC
- Integrative medicine
- Laser therapies
- Chiropractic care
- Trigger point dry needling
- Exercise recommendations
- Guidance for proper posture
Rely on holistic options to treat your muscle spasms!